Following on from our blog yesterday we are tackling the teenager who will not address their bedroom issues which can amount to an assault on many of your senses as well as your emotions.
The last thing a teenager wants to do is clean up their room. Their worlds are occupied with shopping, football, roaming around in packs, facebooking and tweeting their friends, listening to music, playing games and watching television.
Here are a few tips we have gathered to help the frustrated parent along the path.
- Remember they are not being untidy to annoy you as your most immediate living space is a reflection of their mind and a teenage mind has so much to deal with and is in a constant state of flux.
- Sometimes leaving it to the individual will work as eventually they will get sick of living in squalor and make an attempt to tidy up themselves.
- Do not have huge arguments over their bedroom, keep the big arguments for the really important issues in life.
- But do insist that they retrieve any kitchen items that have made their way into the room and any half eaten food, maybe a talk on hygiene if that situation gets out of hand.
- If they want clean clothes to impress their friends then get them to pick up their own laundry items (let them choose a funky clothes basket if that helps).
- Use a little psychology perhaps telling them that as they are usually such a tidy person it is hard for you to understand why their room is so messy.
I hope this has been some help to you and if you have any ideas of your own, please let us know!!